Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

RP Duels: An Alternative.

Go down 
+10
piyohonke
Poh
Barom
Cross
MizuMeian
Davven [Head GM]
Behemoth
Kanon_Symphonia
Audrey-Tifa
Eraziel
14 posters
AuthorMessage
Eraziel
Novice
Novice
Eraziel

Male
Number of posts : 30
Job/hobbies : Acting
Humor : Baws, lol
Registration date : 2009-05-03

RP Duels:   An Alternative. Empty
PostSubject: RP Duels: An Alternative.   RP Duels:   An Alternative. I_icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2009 9:50 pm

So, Kanon_Symphonia and I were RP'ing last night and it came up that there would have to be a duel between the two of our characters. Personally I am not one for just strict RP dueling.

People God-mode, you just cant help it.

Things are dodged that shouldn't be.
Hits land that shouldn't.

I'm more of a fan of luck and with dice. That being said I introduced Kanon to RP dueling using the /dice emote command.

Here's how it works

----------------------------------------------------------------

1 vs 1 Dice Duel

Roll /dice to see who goes first, highest number being that person.

Player A would roll a die first.

Upon rolling a 1, your character rp's an automatic miss / epic fail; his attack completely not hitting his target..

Rolling a 6 results in an automatic hit.

If you roll a 2-5 you RP your characters attempted attack and Player B must roll a number HIGHER than Player A's to block the attack.

If Player B's roll is lower he/she is hit.

If Player A and Player B roll the same number regardless of who is attack and defending , it's a weapon clash. ((Ie: A block..but sparks are fun.))

Starting with a hp counter of 5, first person to 0 loses.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

It seems complicated but it isn't.
Here's a quick example of a block/evade.

* Nikolai raises his sword making a dash towards shade, bringing it down in a quick slice.*
Nikolai rolls a 2
Shade rolls a 5
*Shade quickly side steps, wiggling his finger tauntingly* "You'll have to try harder than that!"

Example of a hit:

* Shade makes a rush towards Nikolai, raising his sword in a mock fashion, his true intent to send a swift knee to his opponents abdomen.*
Shade rolls a 5
Nikolai rolls a 3
"Hurk!" *Caught off guard by the sword, he hardly has time to react before he finds a sharp pain hitting his stomach sending him flying a few feet back*

The score would then go
Nikolai: 4 Shade: 5

Example of Weapon Lock/Clash:

*Nikolai regains his composure dusting himself off from the fall. He rushes towards Shade, sword flying downward as the heat coming off of it is seen as a haze in the air.*
Nikolai rolls a 4
Shade rolls a 4
*Shade takes a step back as he swings his sword with equal force upward, the sound of metal upon metal sending a flurry of sparks and ear grating noise through the square.*

Large Scale Turn Based Duel

* This type of battleing is usually used for a group of 3 to 8 against an NPC character / monster.
* The NPC that is being battles is not held to these rules, especially if the group that they are facing vastly outnumbers them.

Before the Battle:

1. Before the fight every character must be placed at 50% weight in order to prevent HP/SP recovery.

2.. Agi up doesn`t count. || The turns in which the characters attack is determined by the characters agility. Which ever character has the highest agility goes first and it continues until the person with the lowest Agility. Using the skill "Agi Up" does not count in determining turns.

3. Skills that boost stat's can be casted before the battle takes place but ONLY after the turns have been decided.

4. Once the battle has officially started, casting Buffs takes up your characters turn.

5. Characters should take a position in which is condusive to their turn order; this helps to keep confusion to a minimum

6. Fight = GO!

Rules During Battle:
I
1. Playes are expected to RP their attack before they perform it. This includes saying some sort of chant, or even conversation with another player or the Enemy Npc.

2. Any player is free to skip their turn if they feel that it is merited. (Ie: If Nikolai is knocked back, spraining his ankle and feels the need to skip his turn to regain composure.)

3. Buffs are Ic'ly to last an entire turn. That being said if a buff that was casted DOES wear off before your characters turn; you may request that it be recasted OOC'ly

(Example: If Gloria is casted by a priest whose turn comes first yet it wears off after the 3rd person strike; it may be recasted before the end of the groups turn.)

4. Casting a buff, regardless of what it is counts as one turn.

5. Enchanting your weapon with an element does not take up your characters turn. However enchanting SOMEONE ELSES weapon counts as YOUR turn.

6. After attacking, you should return your character back to their spot in order to avoid confusion for turn order.

Two Turns:
Using the following skills will allow your character to take two actions during their turn:

- Increase Agility
(Ex. Once the battle has started, if a priest casts this spell on a character whose turn is coming up, that character can take two actions instead of one. In order to gain two turns again, this action would have to be repeated. Also, casting agi up on yourself does NOT give you two turns. . )

- Adrenaline Rush
(Ex. Using this skill will give anyone effected in the party two actions for that SINGLE round. It does not, however, give two actions to the character casting it.)

---------------------------------------------------------------

I think you get the point. I think this will alleviate all accusations and drama with godmodeing and make all duels based on pure luck.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Eraziel on Thu May 14, 2009 1:27 am; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
Audrey-Tifa
Transcendant
Transcendant
Audrey-Tifa

Female
Number of posts : 381
Job/hobbies : Art
Humor : Church preach #1: Jesus walks on Water. Church preach #2: Finding Jesus
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: RP Duels: An Alternative.   RP Duels:   An Alternative. I_icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2009 10:00 pm

The A-T *approves*
Back to top Go down
http://audreytifa.deviantart.com
Kanon_Symphonia
Novice
Novice
Kanon_Symphonia

Female
Number of posts : 17
Job/hobbies : Anime, RPGs, RO, drawing, photograghy, etc.
Humor : "Do you have any friends besides us and the ones you have in video games?"
Registration date : 2009-04-08

PostSubject: Re: RP Duels: An Alternative.   RP Duels:   An Alternative. I_icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2009 11:36 pm

I'm so glad you told me about this system! Dueling Nikolai with shade was awesome! Soo much fun~! And fair at that, I give it bonus points. /ok
Back to top Go down
Behemoth
Job Changed
Job Changed
Behemoth

Male
Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: RP Duels: An Alternative.   RP Duels:   An Alternative. I_icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2009 12:38 am

Now this is what i'm talking about XD-b
Back to top Go down
Davven [Head GM]
MVP
MVP
Davven [Head GM]

Male
Number of posts : 608
Job/hobbies : Artist.
Humor : What do I have to do, if I don't know what to do?
Registration date : 2008-12-04

PostSubject: Re: RP Duels: An Alternative.   RP Duels:   An Alternative. I_icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2009 12:40 am

*Sticks* >>-b
Back to top Go down
http://davven-delmar.yolasite.com/
Eraziel
Novice
Novice
Eraziel

Male

PostSubject: Re: RP Duels: An Alternative.   RP Duels:   An Alternative. I_icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2009 1:49 am

thank you kindly :D-b

If anyone doesn't get it and wants to walk through with Nikolai, he'd be more than willing =D!!

It's simple tho :]
Back to top Go down
MizuMeian
Transcendant
Transcendant
MizuMeian

Female
Number of posts : 255
Job/hobbies : University student :D Finally \n_n/
Humor : Go and put a banana in your ear :D

PostSubject: Re: RP Duels: An Alternative.   RP Duels:   An Alternative. I_icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2009 2:54 am

:D!! Mizu approves. This is a fair way to sort things ^^; it has a tendency to never end if you play a normal RP duel, since none of the players wanna loose >> This would make it more fair ^^
Back to top Go down
Cross
Transcendant
Transcendant
Cross

Male
Number of posts : 291
Job/hobbies : Frustration
Humor : Magikarp says: Once I evolve, I'm going to fucking kill you all.
Registration date : 2008-12-04

PostSubject: Re: RP Duels: An Alternative.   RP Duels:   An Alternative. I_icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2009 2:52 pm

Each successful attack depletes 1 HP then?

What if there's a 1 roll against a 6 roll? Would that result in a critical hit of sorts?
Back to top Go down
Eraziel
Novice
Novice
Eraziel

Male

PostSubject: Re: RP Duels: An Alternative.   RP Duels:   An Alternative. I_icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2009 8:24 pm

You could play it that way I suppose. Though the way I take rolling a 6 on your attack to mean is a automatic hit.

Catching them off guard; they don't even get to roll for defense.
Back to top Go down
Eraziel
Novice
Novice
Eraziel

Male

PostSubject: Re: RP Duels: An Alternative.   RP Duels:   An Alternative. I_icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 1:53 am

BUMP: New stuff added.
Back to top Go down
Barom
Novice
Novice
Barom

Male
Number of posts : 9
Job/hobbies : Getting a Job/Swords
Humor : Vitreous
Registration date : 2009-05-06

PostSubject: Dicing   RP Duels:   An Alternative. I_icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 10:55 am

Anyone confused/wanting to try this out can talk to me, too. I've had some experience using it as well. (Whisper Kristof Czernobog in-game, if you want to get ahold of me)
Back to top Go down
Poh
Novice
Novice
Poh

Female
Number of posts : 41
Humor : You, me, and a frog. What?
Registration date : 2009-03-25

PostSubject: Re: RP Duels: An Alternative.   RP Duels:   An Alternative. I_icon_minitimeSun May 10, 2009 12:40 pm

Ditto Barom.
Dicing is the -only- way to battle D8<
I have around four different methods for dicerules, so...yeeeah.
Back to top Go down
Audrey-Tifa
Transcendant
Transcendant
Audrey-Tifa

Female
Number of posts : 381
Job/hobbies : Art
Humor : Church preach #1: Jesus walks on Water. Church preach #2: Finding Jesus

PostSubject: Re: RP Duels: An Alternative.   RP Duels:   An Alternative. I_icon_minitimeSun May 10, 2009 4:02 pm

Well preferably we stick to one dicing system rather than a dozen >.>
Back to top Go down
http://audreytifa.deviantart.com
Eraziel
Novice
Novice
Eraziel

Male

PostSubject: Re: RP Duels: An Alternative.   RP Duels:   An Alternative. I_icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2009 1:28 am

Bumped to cure the Butthurt.
Back to top Go down
piyohonke
Transcendant
Transcendant
piyohonke

Male
Number of posts : 205
Location : On the internet where every girl under the age of 16 is in the FBI
Job/hobbies : Student :0
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: RP Duels: An Alternative.   RP Duels:   An Alternative. I_icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2009 6:59 am

Just an idea to add to dice duels, just so people with scary characters don't have to be afraid to touch it, and it doesn't have a novice swordsman take down like a professional knight.

How about instead of having 5 hp for both parts, the players set their own hp between 1 ~ 15 depending on how they feel their character's vitality will last them. This would also be dependent on who they're facing, like for example a young mage were to fight a much older experienced wizard. The wizard who has more magical experience would have more durability to magic than the young mage, so instead of them having equal HP the older wizard would have more.

I mean, a wizard who isn't as physically capable as say a body builder isn't going to be able to withstand as much hits.

As for how much HP is taken off, it can be changed per attack since a normal hit compared to a scrape is going to be different in effect, or on a bigger scale if you get burned to a crisp from a giant fireball. That's going to take a bigger toll than just being whacked by a club to the face.

It's just an idea like I stated previously, but for those who believe their character's abilities are above other characters this can be a way to solve your problem. Since I'm sure everyone wants to avoid being in a rp fight for more than a half an hour.
Back to top Go down
Seraph Mirako
Job Changed
Job Changed
Seraph Mirako

Male
Number of posts : 152
Job/hobbies : Writer
Humor : I know this...is it the one in the arm or the leg?
Registration date : 2009-05-05

PostSubject: Re: RP Duels: An Alternative.   RP Duels:   An Alternative. I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2009 3:36 pm

Why not base it on your character's actual stats?
1 HP extra for every 10 Vit past say...60 or so?

I mean as a general thing, your idea of less durability depending on who you're fighting is a great one.

Also, awesome idea Era for realsomgyes I am using this from now on.

((except Seraph never fights anyone, and Arc got PWNED by Asche))
Back to top Go down
Linken24
Novice
Novice
Linken24

Male
Number of posts : 34
Job/hobbies : Psychology
Humor : Don't ask. >_>
Registration date : 2009-06-04

PostSubject: Re: RP Duels: An Alternative.   RP Duels:   An Alternative. I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2009 6:21 pm

I feel like this could be added on to in some way. Perhaps stats could be tied in to it, if we really wanted to get competitive about it. If enough people would be up for it, I'd be glad to work on a revised version that would be slightly more complex? But more interesting as well.

For instance... The cap of 5 HP is kinda irking me. A paladin could out live a sniper pretty easily if they know anything about anything. So perhaps Vit should have some hold on the HP. A base of 5 HP, and for every 20 Vit? Another point of HP is added.(A total of 11 HP is obtainable.)

Dex and Agi could tie in to Hit and Miss ratios. For instance... If we're relying on a 6 sided die... perhaps there should be multiple dice throws, depending on the person's stats. I play this game called Exalted, and basically... The Combat is based on Successes and Fails. So basically... For every 20 Dex a person has, they can roll a die for hit. For every 20 Agi a person has, they can roll a die for Agi.(With a max of 6 for each) Considering the 6 sided dice has a 50% chance of landing on either 1,2 or 3, and a 50% chance of langing on either 4, 5, or 6? 1, 2 and 3 are Fails, 4, 5 and 6 are successes. The way this will ultimately work is simple.

Player 1 rolls 5 dice to hit Player 2, having 100 Dex. He gets a 1, 3, 5, 2, and 6. 2 Successes.

Player 2 rolls 5 dice to dodge Player 1's attack, having 100 Agi. He gets a 2, 4, 5, 4, and 1. 3 Successes.

Player 2 has more successes than Player 1. This means that Player 2 dodges the attack, and it is now his turn to roll against Player 1.

So that's basically how the hit and miss mechanics would work. Now we move on to actual combat. Say you manage to hit someone. Your strength/Intelligence(if you're a magic class, or using a skill based on int) should have some hold on your damage, right? We don't pump those stats for nothing! In the same sense, we don't all just punch, kick, and slash with our swords. What if we decide we wanna throw a Magnum Break.... Soul Destroyer... Acid Demo... Hell, even an Asura Strike in there? The fact is... There should be a difference in damage depending on the skills we use, and the stats we have.

So basically... Here's what I'm thinking. There should be Tiers for skills. The Tier's would be based on the total damage percentile that a skill would unleash. For instance... Anything that deals damage under 300% of normal attack power is Tier 1. This is also assuming the skill is at it's max level.

So while Holy Light, having a max level of 1 and dealing 125% of Matk is Tier 1... Bash at level 10 deals 400% of the player's attack. This makes it Tier 2. Anything between 300-500% attack power is Tier 2. Anything at 600-1000% attack power is Tier 3. Anything above 1000% attack power is Tier 4. Anything with a damage calculation, such as Asura, Soul Breaker, or Sacrifice(considering it's based on the player's HP) is considered Tier 5, and the deadliest of all.

As you can assume? Each Tier would deal it's respective number in damage. This simply means that a character with no vit could be dropped by a Tier 5 attack in one turn... IF it hits. :P

Now considering I'm writing this up on the fly... I've decided that perhaps Strength and Intelligence shouldn't have anything to do with damage. As the original poster spoke of clashes, the way that a clash would occur in my system would be simple. If the players have an equal amount of successes? Bam. Clash engaged. How is this resolved? Strength and Intelligence. I will once again give an example.

Player 1 has attacked Player 2. They both achieved the same amount of Successes, and now Player 1 and Player 2 have engaged in a clash. Let us assume that Player 1 is a Knight, and Player 2 is a Wizard. I'm not exactly sure how this would work out. Perhaps the Wizard has a sword hidden in his Staff, or uses a Dagger, or Energy Coat, or whatever. It's for the Role Players to decide.

Player 1, having 120 Strength, rolls 6 dice. He gets a 4, 2, 3, 2, 5, and 6. 3 Successes.

Player 2, having little to no strength, but having 120 Intelligence(and perhaps the aid of Energy Coat as an IC reason to be able to block this), rolls 6 dice aswell. He gets a 4, 3, 5, 6, 2, and 1. Also 3 Successes.

This has resulted in the negation of the clash. Neither player is affected abnormally, and the fight goes on with the next player's turn coming in to play. Had the Wizard actually achieved gaining more Successes than the Knight? The same would have happened, as it was the Knight who attacked the Wizard. Had the Knight achieved gaining more Successes than the Wizard? His attack would hit as normal. Reasonable, right?

Now... I'll wait for some feedback. If people like my ideas? I'll expand upon on. I'll make a full(REASONABLE, UNBIASED) list of skills in their Tiers. I'll make a full listing of the Stats and how they affect the dice, HP, and other elements in the duel. I'll basically do whatever needs to be done.

C+C please. :D

Last edited by Linken24 on Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Gigz
Transcendant
Transcendant
Gigz

Male
Number of posts : 206
Job/hobbies : Emperor of the Zombies
Humor : Testicle Toast
Registration date : 2009-03-18

PostSubject: Re: RP Duels: An Alternative.   RP Duels:   An Alternative. I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2009 6:33 pm

1. Thats table top RPG rules, and too overly complicated for RO rp duels.

2. This thread was supposed to have been closed, because it was causing too many problems between players

Audrey-Tifa wrote:
Well preferably we stick to one dicing system rather than a dozen >.>
Back to top Go down
Linken24
Novice
Novice
Linken24

Male
Number of posts : 34
Job/hobbies : Psychology
Humor : Don't ask. >_>
Registration date : 2009-06-04

PostSubject: Re: RP Duels: An Alternative.   RP Duels:   An Alternative. I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2009 7:03 pm

Edited my post. It's an optional system, and if players are having gripes, it's not my fault. I just joined here, and I'm trying to make a reasonable system for fair, safe, and fun dueling. Also? "Table Top RPG Rules." Exactly what else would you want? An RO RP'ing server is generally a Table Top RPG. The difference being that our Game Board is the game itself. The rules I made aren't that complicated. Just take some time to read them over. I'll even make a new topic if I need to.
Back to top Go down
zarry
Transcendant
Transcendant

Female
Number of posts : 205

PostSubject: Re: RP Duels: An Alternative.   RP Duels:   An Alternative. I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2009 8:39 pm

Closing the thread until instructed otherwise. Please make a new thread for your suggestion, Linken24, although I agree it's too complex for this server. The focus here is more on story then it is fighting.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: RP Duels: An Alternative.   RP Duels:   An Alternative. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

RP Duels: An Alternative.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Advent' StoryLine/Announcements/Updates :: Everything You Need To Know-
Jump to: